Monday, May 12, 2008

Star-of-Bethlehem

Star-of-Bethlehem (Ornithogalum umbellatum) is an attractive road side weed (sorry...wildflower). Spent 10 minutes cutting away the overgrown grass to expose these not to mention the chiggers. I could also hear the NPS mowers in the distance headed my way so 30 minutes after these were taken they were all ground up. When the six yellow stamens are fully extended, they form a perfect Star of David in the flower's center. The plant is toxic to livestock. The genus name "Ornithogalum" means "Bird milk". Go figure. Taken in Wilderness battlefield park

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your work is simply incredible. What a delight it is to share in the excitement and beauty of God's creation.

Lots of people have mentioned how much they enjoy the photographs I have used on my website and wish me to convey that appreciation to you!